Wednesday, November 6, 2019

La Lingua

Can you imagine approaching a stranger in the U.S. and asking "scusi, parle Italiano?", especially if you were anywhere but in the Bronx?  I'm certain that the answer would be "huh?" and don't even think it would be worth the breath.

So, I am always amazed at how many Italians speak English and how well they do.

I struggle with the language.  Just told Joe last night that it is interesting how well I do with my "words" and even nowadays my "sentences" when not in the presence of a native speaker and while nowhere even vaguely near this country. I can formulate thoughts, plot them out, and clearly speak them in my head in....going out on a limb here.....perfect Italian.  Maybe I should make a few videos to prove to myself that I can do that.  Maybe I can just use the videos when in Italy, as my little voice boxes because when I am here, the words simply get in the way. Joe says it has to do with becoming worried about making a mistake.

Another point about the use of language makes me realize that I am not in my Mother-land.  Here, men actually ASK directions.  Yes, they do.  And at least twice a day, I am approached by an Italian man, who, in Italian asks ME how to get to a specific place.  Fortunate for me, most of the requests are to major churches.  I must look like a holy Italian or maybe even a nun.  So, I've actually gotten fairly good at giving directions. Hand gestures help a lot too, especially in directing.  Especially in Italy.

"Scusi, Senora.  Dove tomba San Francesco?"

"Scusi, Senora.  Dove casa San Francesco?"

"Scusi, Senora. Dove Basilica?"

"Scusi, Senora. Dove Santa Chiara?"

There's a pattern to this that makes it oh, so much easier for this senora. Assisi is a small hill town with an upper (sopra) part,  a central (piazza del Comune) part, and a lower (sotto) part. Each part is anchored down with at least one major landmark. So, all you have to add to that are the words, "dritto" or "straight", "destra" or "right", and "sinistra", left.  "Vicino" also becomes a handy word, meaning "in the area..nearby" and it allows one to be vague but at least not too misleading.

Add arm movements and an air of confidence to the conversation and it might sound like this...

"Alora, dritto e sinistra, dritto e destra e, bah, in vicino.  Arriverderci"

My father was also very good at this type of thing.  He was a cop on a beat in New York.  Countless times each day, he would be asked for directions and he could not have cared less about what language who was speaking.  He held fast on the use of his own language.  He said it was all very easy for him because no matter who asked, no matter how complicated the route to the final destination requested, he always had the same (and to his way of thinking, correct) answer. In. Perfect. English.

"STRAIGHT AHEAD".

My father, the Italian teacher.

Or maybe I just look like a cop?

No comments:

Post a Comment