Saturday, November 23, 2019

Fallo Doppio. Per Favore.

If you don't get up and out early enough in the morning, you miss stuff.

Just as at home, I am not a late sleeper. By that, I mean that I rarely stay in bed past six o'clock and I have no logical explanation for this habit.  Same, same.

It takes a while to get into the rhythm of life in a small Italian hilltop town such as Assisi.  The first week is practically a wash.  But, we've been here for three weeks already, much to my disbelief and my dread of the rest of the time passing too quickly, and both Joe and I are into the rhythm. Of course, we'd be happy to have a washing machine and we'd really like a more comfortable sofa but other than that, we're quite contented and at ease with our surroundings.

So, this morning I got up extra early and contemplated my options. I did not want to wake Joe. We had a killer (in a good way) day yesterday, hiking up to the Eremo https://www.assisiofm.it/eremo-delle-carceri-assisi-103-1.html and that was just our morning excursion.  I topped the day off with an aperitifo  (Aperol Spritz) with my dear friend Isabel and we were both exhausted as a result.

I decided to give my old cafe Il Duomo, another chance at making me happy and sometime shortly after seven (keep in mind that I'm referring to seven-in-the-morning), I took myself up the street and sat down to a delightful cup of cappuccino, alongside Patricia, the local hairdresser.

In walks a man who I figured for a local.  Up to the counter he went and ordered a J&B.  "Fallo doppio." Make it a double.  Okay.  The barrista pours a double J&B and wham, bam, the guy downs it within seconds, pays and exits.  Hmmm.  Is it me or is this unusual for this hour of the day? As he walks away, both of the others look at each other, shocked a bit, and laughed at which point I also did a giggle.  They exchanged some words which told me that they were surprised and I joined in with "in my country the word would be 'wowsers'"!  "Is he on his way to church?"

The barrista makes the body motion of a bird tilting this way and that in flight.  No words necessary.

Who knows - I guess a whole story could be written about our early-morning-drinker.  I don't write fiction very well. Maybe this could be what gets me on the road.  But,  I do love observing behavior and I do love the exchange, in any language, of the interpretation of the what's-just-gone-on-here, and this was a doozy.  As I paid for my cappuch (1 Euro, 50),  all I could say was...."Wowsers!" which was met with "Doppio!!!"

Gotta get up early or you miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment