Saturday, November 3, 2018

Views




Yesterday, Jenny and I put our big girl pants on and left Assisi for the day.  Our friend, Pietro, dropped us off at the mobile phone store where I was able to get a SIM card put into my phone.  I know ABsolutely nothing about the technology and hope that it can be reversed when I return to the states but for now, another bit of getting settled has been accomplished.  The darling young man who fitted the card into my phone pointed us to the bus stop off we went to the train station. With a few more angels pointing the way, we eventually arrived in Perugia where we hopped on to the MiniMetro and......like magic,  we arrived in the center of this lively city.  The last time I visited Perugia, I was with my Italian friend, Josie, who was  born a Perugina.  Somehow, being with her was a whole lot easier.  For starters, we traveled by car rather than trains and busses and all I had to do that day was fall in love with her city.n

All of Italy is in preparation for the holidays.  Only here,  there are more of them.  Sure, Christmas is on its way, but first, the olive oils and new wines have to be celebrated and now-is-the-time.  Outdoor markets, huge in Perugia, are alive with aromas that simply won't quit.


After a very local and nice little lunch, Jenny and I parted for the afternoon.  For the next few hours, I wandered, finally finding myself at the edge of the city.  The views were breathtaking as the Umbrian valley stretched out underneath a rim of pure white cloud.  In the same area, I found a lovely park, complete with flower and fountains (naturally). A set of festivals for the eyes. In an instant,  I was reminded of the Robert Frost poem that I have loved since my youth,"The Road Not Taken".  Looking out at the valley gave me one perspective - the beauty of this country, the Umbrian valley so peaceful, serene and verdant.   Looking at the statue centered in one of the fountains, a naked woman, arms gracefully stretched behind her head, a totally different perspective came to mind. My lady in the fountain reminded me of Anita Ekberg's portrayal of Sylvia, the temptress in "La Dolce Vita", as she indulged in the waters of the Trevi Fountain.  Sylvia, her carefree approach to living, so symbolic of the way life is perceived by most Italians, dressed in a low-cut black gown, casting her fate in the waters.

At the end of the day, it's all about perspectives.  Mountain view or fountain view, the spirit of Italy spirits me and I am reminded over and over again that life is beautiful and sweet. La Dolce Vita.
And now, for another perspective....it's time to try another gelato.


No comments:

Post a Comment