Thursday, November 1, 2018

Just Ask



I have my poles.  I have my shoes.  I have my desire.

I could go on a hike but.......

It needs to stop raining.


Mount Subasio looms in the not-too-distant background.  It's a destination I have been dreaming about re-visiting since returning from the Camino.  I know where I want to go and I am, much to my amazement, ready and able to physically take it on but.......it rains, the sun comes out, it rains again, making planning a day hike impossible.  So, I will have to wait it out.  The Eremo will be waiting for me.  St Francis hung out there in the Thirteenth Century, talking to the birds, and things haven't changed all that much since so I can wait a few more days.  I just want to get on the road and I need some new stories soon.

I spent a month here, on my own, six years ago.  I came back with more stories than F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I want more.  I'm a glutton for a good story.

In the meantime, I'm getting back my Assisi Mojo and making each day a happening.  I am grateful for the strength that allows me to make it up and down the hills that the town is known for without breaking a sweat.  This is one very beautiful place to be, rain or shine.  The apartment that I rented is in a fabulous neighborhood.  I could not have been more fortunate. All the elements are ever-present. Narrow cobblestoned roads, gracious building facades, complete with blooming flowers in pots on walls and beside doors.  The smell of umbrian wood fires coming from cozy homes.  Church bells.
Caffes, trattorias and pizza.  Any day now, my eyes may totally jump out of my head from being overwhelmed.  I'm waiting for my pulse to slow down so that I can simply enjoy the gift I have been given in arriving here safely.  I have been granted graces and graces I plan to use.

I'm grateful for people who have been so kind, old friends and new.  I'm grateful to the staff in the trattoria on the corner who came to my aid last night as a can of tomatoes needed to be opened when the kitchen at the apartment was lacking a can opener.  No problem.  Slippers on feet, can in hand, I ran up the street and was directed to the chef who was only too happy to help.

There's something so lovely about being open and honest with people, no matter where in the world we find ourselves.  I had a minor emergency, and I needed help.  I have no idea how to ask for a can opener in Italian but I do know that for every crisis, there is someone who is willing to help if we just ask.

And now, I'm asking you God......please make it stop raining.  My journey awaits me.  It's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment