Monday, November 5, 2018

A Braccetto

Six years ago,when I did a solo visit to Assisi for a month, I met Josie Comodi.  In an earlier post (geesh, have I really been blogging that long?), I referred to her as my "Scarf Lady" because it was my admiration of her handcraft that led us to the beginning of our friendship. I was window-shopping and we started our conversation, one in which I told her of my mother's recent death and of my decision to come here as part of my grieving process.

Yesterday, we met at a cafe in the center of town.  It was the same cafe that we had visited many times together in the past.  This time, it was my turn to listen and to open my heart as she recounted the story of her own mother's death, two years ago.  She seems to still be very raw in her grief, tears flowed quickly and freely as she spoke.  I told her that I understood and I certainly did.

We talked about a lot of other topics over cappuccino and pastry.  It was wonderful for both of us.
Following our coffee, we walked at least a mile to get to her car, parked outside of town, on a hill, naturally.  With the town of Assisi fading in our view, arm in arm, we continued to talk and to share our not only that view but a host of others on life, the changes in the Italian culture, the recent hardships realized by business people in a failing economy, and so much more.  We lent each other support all the way up the hill. 

It is not unusual to see two older women strolling together, taking a "passagetta" in Italian towns at some point in the day. I've seen them, arms locked, slowly ascending hills, and I've wondered about their conversations, where they were going, where they has just been.  I always thought of them as "old ladies", needing to physically support each other and saw that as perhaps something in my future, my golden-older days. 

Suddenly, I realized.....along with my friend Josie, I have joined the ranks.  The secret is out.  It is not about physical support.  The arm-in-arm stroll, "a braccetto" is much more than that.  Much, much more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment