Thursday, November 22, 2018

Cheers!!!!!

There are so many things I will miss when I leave Assisi.  The quiet days, the serene evenings, the aromas - wood fires, roses.  The tastes - new olive oil, chestnuts, cheese. The wine. The wine. The wine......The local products, so pure and exquisite that I know nothing else on Earth will ever reach the bar. The church bells.  The churches.  Aperol spritzes. Rosemary bushes, lavender bushes, chocolate that gives new meaning to the word delicious.  Cappuccino, made by experts and yes, it is perfectly acceptable to have it after eleven o'clock (just not with a meal...ever...it IS a meal!).

But, there is one thing that I will miss, oh so much, above all others, guaranteed.  My mornings at the Cafe Duomo, bells ringing from San Rufino, fresh baked coronetti stinging my olfactory nerve and creating a dance, and the ever-present lovely Isabella, my hostess Migliore!!!  Gorgeous woman. Gracious and sweet.

This morning, Thanksgiving, started out with a downpour.  I wake up so early, just as I do in my home, and there's nothing that will put me back to sleep so I am up and showered, ready for the day, by seven. Don't even begin to offer me advice.  I've tried everything and I'm seventy so it's not going to change and apparently, it serves me well.  I'm digressing....this morning, as I worked my way down the wet cobblestones and got my first glimpse of the lights on at the cafe, I thought to myself......"this is the CHEERS of Assisi!!" Isabella is the female version of Sam Malone and the cast of characters, regulars from the neighborhood who show up every morning like clockwork.  One could almost film a series here called "SALUTI!"

There's the man who comes in for his cafe macchiato, that espresso with a tiny bit of milk.  He's first (after my entrance and cappuch).  He drinks it at the bar, chatting briefly with Isabella.  Soon after, the man with the tie comes in and brings the newspaper.  I can hardly resist shouting "Normmmmm!!"  The next set, an elderly couple, tiny woman who thinks I'm a goddess and hugs me, pinching my cheeks like the friends of my grandmother did when I was a child and we would meet them in the supermarket (I actually dreaded that because it hurt so much).  Now, I welcome it and feel the love in those bony fingers.  He, her more capable-appearing spouse, is the no-nonsense partner, hurries her along and says in Italian, some version of "let's get going, Woman" and she scurries out.  The utility workers are next.  I know them by their jackets.  Quick pausa.  Most of the customers are in and out, few linger as I do.  Their way, of course, is the authentic cafe experience.
A bit later, the group of life-long friends enter and take their seats.  Now, they linger.  One is a retired school teacher, accompanied by her husband.  The others, friends.  A foursome that has been meeting like this for years, at this very spot, at the same time every day with Sunday being the exception.
Lively conversations, smiles. Sharing problems, joys life journeys.

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got


 I get a huge "Buon Giorno" from these folk. Surely they must wonder what the heck I'm doing here, working on my laptop.  Maybe they think I'm a foreign correspondent.


Ciao, ciao, ciao......people drift in and out.  Patrizia with the nice shoes is probably on her way to work.  Looks like a school teacher. Leonard Cohen on the Isabella's playlist.....OMG, we both love that man!!!! 

Normanoooooooo!!!!!!!

How can I resist capturing these moments?  Me, who loves to study people.  Me, who has made it my point to watch every single re-run episode of CHEERS over the past few months, as if they were brand new.  This is a festival for me and one I cannot replicate when I return.  I'm so pleased at myself for having taken the time. this time.  While I have spent many happy hours in Italy, I have never indulged as well.  I've learned to truly relax, to appreciate moments and to not seek much more than the moment.  This time has been another of those life-investments that I count with each passing day.  I'm well-rehearsed in the art of living simply and loving grandly.  When Joe and I were on our Camino last Spring, I learned the importance of the word "Ultreia".  I made a promise to myself, that the Camino would never end, that I would try my hardest to live the magic and Ultreia defines that.  Continue, rock on.  Never stop. It's a lifestyle that's so worth pursuing. 

Making you way in the world today takes everything you've got.

Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came.

You wanna be where you can see the troubles are all the same

Mi Chiama Lynn!!!

You wanna be where everybody knows your name.

CHEERS AMICI!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment