Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Beach Day







A major highlight of the enchanting Setúbal Peninsula south of Lisbon is the long stretch of sandy coastline known as the Costa Caparica. It's about a half hour drive away from the city, one that includes a trip over the bridge known as the 25 April, a copy of San Francisco's Golden Gate. The beaches are absolutely gorgeous, the water is turquoise-colored and the waves attract surfers, both experienced and brand new learners. 

Now, those of you who know me will be a bit shocked to learn that this is where I spent the greater part of my day today. Under a thatched umbrella, on a lounge chair, with the breeze blowing in from the sea. I, who thinks of a day at the beach as punishment, found joy. Hard to believe but true.

Lucy had this little field trip in mind from the day we planned our excursion.  I knew it and I also knew that if I didn't make the effort, if I failed to make this dream a reality, my life would not be a good one from this day on. After all, where better to get those Instagram shots of your behind in a bikini? Not mine. Hers. And so, we packed up, got an Uber, and made our way to one very big surprise indeed. I plunked down the chair and umbrella rental and sat at the beach for a few hours. Along the shore line, for miles, runs a walking, biking, anything and everything else paved path. After lunch at a beach cafe, I headed down and enjoyed not only the view of the beach, but the people who also came for a relaxing day out. Nice people. Just enough of us. I imagine that the weekends find this place packed to the nines but this, being a weekday and the day before a national holiday, there were wide, open spaces on the beaches and lots of room to breathe the sea air.  

After a million photos, (oh, I did manage to get one of myself....a selfie), it was time to go. Honestly, I could have stayed much longer but it was time and so we left. Know what I mean? 

Teenagers, well, they rule. But sometimes, they force our hands and sometimes they save our much bigger, saggier, butts. I got enough sun. Just enough, but I could really have gotten way too much. My body parts are  not accustomed to the exposure. 





No comments:

Post a Comment