Thursday, October 3, 2019

Shoulder Season

On a wall in the hall that enters my bedroom hangs a favorite photo.  It's so beautiful in its simplicity. A black and white, taken behind a row of modest cottages bordering the sea somewhere on the beautiful Prince Edward Island, sometime in the fifties.

The photo captures a strong and handsome young father.  Seated high on his capable right shoulder is a little girl with windswept hair falling down over her face. Both appear to be happy and proud of each other.  A father and a daughter on a carefree holiday at the beach.  A Summer season day that they thought surely would never end. A moment in time that now remains frozen in that photo for ever and ever.

So many seasons have come and gone.  I scarcely know those people in the photo any longer. Time swept in and like the wind that blew my hair over my face, took with it our youth and replaced it with days that have grown longer and years, shorter.

Seasons come and go swiftly but for me and my dad, it will always be shoulder season.

No comments:

Post a Comment