Monday, September 16, 2019

Of Course

I just knocked over an entire breakfast shake.  Though it might be nice to enjoy a few quiet moments out on my patio, just me and my laptop, no muti-tasking,  no hum of the washing machine or urgent need to hang clothes out in the sun to dry.  No nothing.  Just me, some sensible nourishment and my fingers playing on the keys of my beloved. But, just as I set my plastic container down, it went in its own direction and plopped the contents out, all over the table, which of course, has open slats just wide enough to allow for the beverage to travel down onto the ground. So, out came the hose, back in went the now-almost-empty container and I was foiled again.

"Of course you spilled" were the words I said out loud.

I say those words, "Of course" often.  I have built-in expectations that include lots of spills, slipped stitches, burnt toasts.  I'm not exactly clumsy.  I have agility and flexibility, both of which are a great source of pride and self appreciation. But, I am a multi-tasker.  I mean, just look at how many times I use hyphens when I write.  I can't even settle for one-word-words.  I'm efficient and economical. I'm also 71 and still have a huge amount to learn.

I'm closer to the top of the hill. By no means, over-it.  Looking back at that trail which brought me to this place, I realize that I have come a long way and speed was once an important part of the journey.
Not so much any more.

  Just yesterday, our cousin Helen was here sharing dinner with us.  As the afternoon brought that hint of an early Autumn evening about to burst upon the scene, I said, "didn't the Summer pass quickly?".  Helen, a woman who almost always gets right to the point, replied "welllllll......the Summer was exactly the same amount of time as any other Summer, same amount of days". Amen.  I think she then added something about how we're getting older and everything seems to pass by quicker, probably because we're so much more aware of time than we were as kids.

I don't make New Year's resolutions.  But, I do make New Season intentions.  My intentions for the Autumn are usually way too many, overlapping and weaving through a path that never brings me quite to the place I would wish to be - so much smarter, so much thinner, so much more involved with life. Over-booked and over-whelmed by all the plans and appointments.

It's going to be a full couple of weeks as I prepare for another big trip to Italy. I am promising myself that I will approach it with less multi-tasking, with more awareness of the moment so that I can savor this lovely time of year and not cross it off a list.  Yes, September and October will be exactly the same number of days as they always have been and as full of spunk as ever.  I am going to pour myself a glass of what's-good-for-me and try to not knock it over.


No comments:

Post a Comment