Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful to be Home

The First Thanksgiving, courtesy of Wikipedia



Same time, last year.

Far away from my home, my family, my traditions.

You may have been envying me.  I was in Italy, in Assisi to be precise. I was envying you.

Last year, I bought turkey parts, made green beans with pancetta and brought it all, with a huge bottle of vino, to join friends, Americans who now make their home in Assisi.  Together, at a cold and dirty poor excuse for a "children's museum", we ate dinner.

But this year, it's a whole turkey and I'm warm, and my house is clean and my kids are coming and best of all, we have a toilet with running water.

Don't get me completely wrong.  I enjoyed my day last year.  I just am enjoying my day better this year.  I appreciate all that I have and most of all, the people who allowed me to wander away from them for a few weeks last fall.

So, today I am giving thanks for so many things, not least of all, for the family and the home that we have.
I'm thankful for the beautiful sunshine that lights the pond up as if it were a bag of gold nuggets when we sit down to our breakfast together.  I'm thankful for my friends, here and there, wherever " there" may be.  I have been so very, very blessed with a wide circle of friends who have shared time with me.  Every day of the week is special and I am surrounded by creative people who inspire me, non-stop.

Oh, and SPANX......I'm very thankful for them.  Very.

Thank you, thank you and thank you some more.


No comments:

Post a Comment