Friday, January 4, 2013

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Were it that I had the honor of interviewing myself on any life topic, I most certainly would pick the subject of sleep habits. I've had lots of practice speaking on this topic.  It seems that it comes up in most of my social encounters, it is the first and last thing I discuss with my husband every day.  So, what better, more or less interesting aspect of my life would I choose?

I would be an interviewer's dream come true because I would not hold back for one minute.  I would be more than happy to express my views on the benefits of sleep and the consequences of not.  Without hesitation, I would talk about things like.....

Pillows.  I sleep with a collection of them next to my side of the bed.  I start with one and usually change to another during the course of the night.  I have tried them all.  Big ones, small ones, stuffed ones, slim line ones,  Temperpedic ones from Brookstone, chiropractic ones from the chiropractor and of course, the "My Pillow" from the "My Pillow" billionaire.  Usually the reason for the switch is due to.....

Numbness and tingling of my hands.  If something has not already disrupted my sleep,  I will find myself awakened by hands that are still soundly sleeping, both at the same time. I know this is due to not observing the laws of ergonomics when using my computer.  Ironically, I spent the last part of my career in nursing trying to help people avoid this exact same problem and now, I'm the unlucky victim of this occupational hazard.  So if it's not this tingly stuff that wakes me up it's the snoring.......

That my husband is so very, very good at that wakes me.  He is a lovely person, good natured and exceptionally well-mannered but when he's asleep, he's noisy and he talks, snores and hits things.....

That are on his side of the bed, knocking things off the bedside table, to the floor, in the middle of the night and, if by some small chance I have fallen back to sleep after my pillow change, I wake up to go.....

To the bathroom for the enth time.  This never happened when I was younger.  Nor did.....

Sleep Apnea, a real diagnosis.  I was diagnosed and treated to my very own C-Pap machine which looks very much like something from a mid-evil torture chamber as my friend Jay described it which makes one wonder about why and how he has had the opportunity to observe what is in my bedroom.  You see, he was my house guest when I was in Italy......

Where I slept a whole lot better, not great, just better because I forced myself to. I  had only one type of pillow, a long walk to the bathroom, and had not yet experienced a recurrence of the numbness and tingling......

 The condition which I aggravated when I used the notebook computer that I brought with me for my month's stay in Italy, most of which was spent alone. In my bed. At night. Without the snoring partner but with the.....

 Construction workers, underneath my window, arriving before seven in the morning who woke me up every day so I really did not get the sleep that I should have gotten anyway.

Some things, they never change.


No comments:

Post a Comment