Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Peace Bell


''This encounter at Assisi is an act of penance. . . . Either we learn to walk together in peace and harmony or we drift apart and ruin ourselves and others,"

These were the words of Pope John Paul II, spoken in an unprecedented address in Assisi, Italy on "The World Day of Peace",  October 27, 1986. Not coincidentally, it was the birthday of St. Francis of Assisi. 

Gathered together, in unity, along with Pope John Paul, were leaders of the World's 12 main religious groups. All, at his invitation. Truly a day that will always be remembered as one of harmony, peace and mutual respect. Only the actual physical presence of Francis would have made this more of an occasion for the history books.  

This glorious monument, the Peace Bell, stands in the Bosco di San Francesco, one of our favorite places in Assisi.  Quite possibly, one of our favorite all time, anywhere places.  Blissfully, we've hiked the Bosco several times and if you were to ask us to describe Paradise on Earth, surely my husband and I, in unison, would pronounce the Bosco to be the answer.

So, with all that there could possibly be to reflect upon at this moment in our own history, my thoughts come back to the Bosco, the Peace Bell.  I've stood there and breathed in the forest air, listened to the soft sounds of woodland birds and taken in with my eyes and heart, the carpets of growth which have welcomed our footsteps.  

Each day, when I consider my gratitude, I always, always remember places like the Bosco.  I never take peace for granted, nor do I assume that everyone in this world will honor the codes of respect for the beliefs of others and their pursuit of righteousness, whatever that may entail. 

One day, oh how I hope it will be one day soon, we will return to Assisi and when we do, we will start a new series of hikes in the Bosco.  Our recovery from the virus that now threatens us so vehemently will, in large, depend upon our willingness to respect first ourselves and then, others.  





No comments:

Post a Comment