Thursday, March 26, 2020

Real

We awoke to a bit of terribly sad news yesterday.  It was our turn.  A cousin wrote an email informing us that our dear cousin, Edward, had succumbed the night before....to the Virus.  He was my mother's first cousin, aged 89 or 90, not sure.  An intelligent, well-informed, well-read, highly educated and amazing man.  A part of my own childhood.


https://patch.com/new-york/easthampton/montauk-sweethearts-married-39-years-share-secrets-longtime-love


This is real.

I try to refrain from using this blog as anything much more than a memoir piece, one that one day might capture the attention of great-grandchildren.  Surely, they will be curious about the "Virus of 2020"and might even want to know how we survived.  Or didn't. But, I can only stay quiet so long.

I'm worried.  Not about food shortages, not about having my freedom or independence taken away. I'm not concerned at all about staying put for the time being.  I know, in the end, it will all be worth the so-called "sacrifices".  I have hope for the future.  Our plans for an extended stay in Italy for December are still very much alive.  We can't wait to give hugs that are bigger than those we give regularly on a virtual platform.

I'm worried about the air that I am breathing. That I can't shield myself, no matter how hard I try.

I'm panic-stricken by the fact that I share it with people who have something much more shocking and much more devastating than a virus that one day, I am hopeful, we will overcome.

I'm shaking in my boots about breathing the same air with those people, who, despite all of the atrocities, hypocrisy, stupidity and utter shamless-ness, spewn forth on every media avenue but FOX NEWS,  (they only report the "real' news)  will follow the words of our president.

I owe this to you, Dearest Edward Porco. May you rest in peace and be in a better place for all eternity.  You have always had my respect and the love of our family.

God help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment