Thursday, March 15, 2012

Quando, Quando, Quando


I've started again.....Italian language classes. Its not that I have not been trying since God knows when. But this time I am really TRYING. I have a new teacher, Roberto. He's been teaching adult ed here in town for a number of years. His students love him. They learn things. They can speak Italian. He's not the greatest personality. He doesn't have the bravado and effusive personality of my last teacher who for two years wowed us all with his stories and his gift for making us understand the words. But he could not TEACH me how to speak. Now, I am not exactly what one would call "stupid" but grammar was never one of my strong points. Neither was paying attention. My strongest point in my years of schooling was "daydreaming" and "planning", not the lesson at hand, not the homework, not participating. Didn't have to. The kids with the strong points of "listening" "participating" and studying did all the work for me. Never make eye contact with the teacher. That much I learned fairly quickly. Pretend you're interested, change your facial expression.....Not the way to learn a new language, especially at my age of 64. But, as the Italians say, "quando?" Okay, so it's time for me to turn to my Italian/American dictionary. I have to go look up the word for "now"......
A presto!

No comments:

Post a Comment