Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Sono Qui.....Again





After two days dedicated to travel and one complete night and day without a minute of sleep, I'm back in Italy.  My beloved Assisi welcomed me with tears and then, when the drizzle stopped, with the sunsets that are capable of breaking one's heart.

I am here for good reasons, most of which can only be understood by those who have faith in God and willingness to assign great things to a simple word. Grace.

It is grace that prompted my idea to come here and it was grace that spirited me on when I almost had to ditch my plans.  My plans?  No.....this whole thing is and never was, "my" plan.  It was masterminded by God, trust me.

Six years ago, following my mother's death, I came to Assisi, alone, for a month.  I needed to get away, to be able to mourn without troubling anyone.  I needed a safe and peaceful existence and was heeding the words of the hospice social worker who told me that I did not have to live in my father's world following the death of my mother.  It was here, in Assisi, that I spent the most magical of times with my recently deceased mother, joined by her mother.  Together, we worked it out and forever will I remember the strength that grew with each of the hours during those days. And, for the past six years, I have lived in my father's world and have done my noble best to make it a happier one for him.

I'm not going to fill this page with woes so suffice it to say that my father is now six years older, just turned 97 in fact, and his days of independence have come to an end.  I prayed. I prayed a lot.  And my prayers were answered and a plan of action, so beyond my ability to fashion it, became a reality.  Had I not taken myself away, had I not received the gift of grace, my father's future would have been very different and while he may have thought otherwise, his life would not have been as safe and as happy as I am sure it will be very soon.

So, here I am.  This time, I am not alone.  I traveled here with a remarkably young 81 year old friend, one who has had health problems but still has vitality and a desire to live her life to the fullest.  My pal Jenny will be with me for two weeks and next week, will be attending the highly regarded Italian language school here in town.  It has been a dream and she will fulfill it.  I've given her a grand tour and tomorrow, she will venture out alone and I will pursue some of the things I have come here seeking.  My hiking clothes and shoes are at the ready and my heart is ready for whatever comes.
I'm on the cusp of another Camino.  I have my own hopes and dreams and I know that I am ready for the next five weeks and that when I return to my home, I will be refreshed and more resilient.

But now, for some physical and mental rest.




No comments:

Post a Comment