Thursday, October 18, 2018

Journey End Started



I just received an email from a friend in Italy, the lovely man who will, at least
for the month of November, be my landlord.  He reminded me that I will be arriving in Assisi in ten days and he is "excited".  In my reply to him, I confirmed that he is not the only one who is excited about the plans. And, as I did so, I reminded him that six months ago, this journey that I am now planning to complete, started when Joe and I did our Camino in Spain.

My granddaughters became the henchmen for what I had fondly referred to as #mycamino, on my Instagram photos.  During a visit, they probably thought they were amusing when they sarcastically referred to the use of this "hashtag".  But it was embarrassing and hurtful and it brought my little ritual to an abrupt end.  Let me go on record as saying that I am not a FaceBook user and that I have used Instagram for a while as a repository of photos and a way to connect with other photos.  Beyond that, social media is not part of my life and I'm not always even sure of what and why hashtags exist. I just know that one click of #mycamino brings me back to not only my memories but those of others who also treasured their experiences on the Camino de Santiago.

So, please indulge me.  Please don't mock me.  I don't do well with that and promise to not do it to you.

In ten short, windy days, I will be back on MY Camino.  In three short, cold and snowy months, I will have completed my seventieth year.  I have my health, my wits-about-me, my ideal blood pressure and weight (finally), and I have a heck of a lot for which to be grateful. I also have a heck of a lot to contemplate as I face, along with the rest of humanity, an uncertain future.


Six years ago, in my own way of mourning my mother's death, I took myself to Assisi, Italy, for one month.  I was alone for most of that month and was free to use my time in any way I sought.  It was wonderful and healing.  I found comfort at every turn and heightened spirituality was only one of the benefits.  I know that I grew as a person if not only for the fact that going solo meant a huge confidence boost at a time I needed it.  Spirituality and confidence have stuck.  And now, they are the very things that have led me to the perfect end of my year-long celebration of life.  I'm about to do it my way.  This time, I will not be totally alone.  Most of the people who will be accompanying me also have a mission.  More about that later, as days go by and we unfold our stories.

For now, as I prepare for my journey, I know
I am also preparing for the journey back home.  My father becomes 97 next week, just days before I depart.  The Winter will arrive soon after my return.
My mother-in-law is now just a few months short of her 104th birthday.  It's been a long, disturbing Summer.  The more I am ready, the more useful I will become. The more fulfilled I can claim to be, the more resilient I know I will be.  My loving and wonderful husband understands all of this.  He's a major part of everything I do and this time, once again,will remain on the bleachers.  But, he's also been a pilgrim and he gives his blessing, knowing that I will come home with a readiness for the rest of our lives.  #ourcamino.

No comments:

Post a Comment